The SARS MobiApp is a mobile channel from which you can complete and submit your Income Tax Return (ITR12). You can easily install the SARS MobiApp from the App Store (for Apple devices), Google Play Store (for Android devices) or the Huawei App Gallery. On the SARS MobiApp you can register, complete, save and submit your 2020 return (coming soon), as well as returns from previous years.
SARS has officially announced that the 2022 tax season is now open with the current tax season set to run from 1 July 2022 to 24 October 2022.
Taxpayers can now file their tax returns on SARS’ eFiling website or at a SARS branch. SARS explained that taxpayers must submit a tax return for their their tax liability to be calculated based on the income they declare and the tax-deductible expenses they have incurred for a year of assessment. This could result in clients receiving a tax refund.
Clients are reminded that if they want to file their tax return at a SARS branch, they need to make an appointment. They are also encouraged not to make an appointment in the first week of July.
Provisional taxpayers including Trusts may file their tax returns via eFiling website or using the SARS MobiApp.
SARS announced that over 3 million taxpayers have been auto-assessed which means that they will not have to file a tax return if they are satisfied with the outcome of the auto assignment.
The revenue service added that If you are in the auto-assessment group, you will receive a notification from SARS during the first few days of July.
Here’s The Documentation You May Need When Submitting A Tax Return
- Your IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s) which you will receive from your employer
- Medical certificates as well as documents required for amounts claimed in addition to those covered by your medical aid.
- Pension and retirement annuity certificates
- Your banking details
- Travel logbook (if you receive a travel allowance)
- Tax certificates that you received in respect of investment income (IT3(b))
- Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability, where applicable
- Information relating to capital gain transactions, if applicable
- Financial statements, e.g. business income, where applicable
- Any other documentation relating to income you received or deductions you want to claim.
SARS said, “Taxpayers can also use the SMS number 47277 to request a tax reference number, find out if you need to submit a return and get a statement of account.”