How to Apply for a Re-issue of a Matric certificate

For all certificates issued, candidates are allowed a twelve month period from the date of issue for any corrections to be effected.  A change to an original certificate will not be considered unless the original certificate (not replacement) is returned.

To change your name on your matric certificate, you must apply to the Department of Basic Education (DBE) or Provincial Education Department (PED) by completing the Re-issues application form.

You must go to the nearest DBE/PED offices in person so that DBE/PED officials can interview you before they make the amendments.

A statement of results may be issued, as an interim record while waiting for the issue of your certificate.

Reasons for re-issue

  • Re-issue: Administrative errors
    Within the six-month period after certification (first issue), but not later than a year after the last examination, a request for a re-issue will be considered in cases where there is sufficient proof that the mistake on the certificate, either with regard to a subject mark, subject choice or a change in result, or some aspect of the personal details, is incorrect because of a registration error by the school or department.
  • Re-issue: Alteration of Sex Description and Sex Status
    In the situation where the Director – General of the Department of Home Affairs has granted an application in terms of the Alteration of Sex Description and Sex Status Act, 2003, and a person’s sex-description has been altered accordingly, the person may, through the Department of Basic Education or Provincial Education Department, make application for re-issue with a change of name/personal details (if requested), and a re-assignation of sex description on the Umalusi data-base.

Documentation Required

  • Certified copies of the candidate’s old and new Identity Documents
  • A detailed sworn statement (affidavit) by the candidate
  • The original certificate
  • A letter from the Department of Home Affairs confirming that it has, on behalf of the person in question, acted in terms of Section 27(A) of the Births and Death Registration Act, 1992, and that it has altered the sex description (and the names) of that person
  • Application form obtainable from the DBE/PED.

What you should do

  • Pay the prescribed fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE/PED office or by cheque.
  • Go to the nearest DBE/PED offices with the following documents:
    • your original national/ senior certificate and a certified copy
    • Identity document (ID) and a certified copy of your ID
    • an affidavit stating the reasons for alteration (detailed one)
    • confirmation letter from the Department of Home Affairs
    • Birth certificate. If you don’t have a birth certificate you must bring a clinic card, baptismal certificate, or school report that states your name and date of birth.
  • Alternatively you can download the form, fill it and post it with the attached documents, including the postal order or cheque, to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001.

How long does it take?

It takes four to six weeks for a Re-Issue certificate

How much does it cost?

  • Re-issue certificate (Administrative errors): R153
  • Statement of results: R55
  • These fees are valid from 01 April 2022 until 31 March 2023.

READ ALSO How to  Apply for Replacement certificate: Lost or damaged matric certificate

Form to fill


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply