The Call, the third of three in successive years, seeks to identify a group of the country’s most talented young academics to benefit from a structured and intense programme aimed at accelerating their readiness for the professoriate.
Thus, it aims to produce a critical mass of academic excellence and leadership within South African Higher Education.
READ ALSO SA Navy Military Program
The programme is intended to complement initiatives hosted by both the DHET and individual universities aimed at developing a pipeline of early-career academics with an emphasis on black and woman scholars. Academics preferably – but not exclusively – in the lecturer and senior lecturer categories in South African public universities, may be nominated by their universities. Applicants should hold a doctorate and already boast a track-record of some academic achievement that would signal advancement to the senior ranks of the academy. From these nominations a cohort will be selected for the programme, to commence in January 2023.
Skills and requirements
- A deep commitment to the pursuit of advanced scholarship.
- Evidence of productive and imaginative scholarly work.
- Early signs of purpose and direction in academic work.
- Novelty, richness and a willingness to take risks in the pursuit of large ideas.
- Personal qualities of self-awareness, teachability and the need to grow.
- Evidence of resilience and persistence in the face of setbacks.
- A willingness to benefit from and contribute to a community of scholars.
HOW TO APPLY
SUBMISSION: Applications should be submitted electronically no later than 28 February 2022 to the office of the designated authority of your University.